March 10, 2014

My Previous Home- Before and After


When I moved to Charlotte after college (and a year living in Australia!), I started a business buying antiques in Europe and selling them in several local multi-merchant stores.  During this time, I also decorated on the side.  One of my first projects was my home in the Myers Park area of Charlotte.  I lived there for 3 years and sold it last April (in 3 days!!).  I loved the cute cottage feel of the home, and I was happy I didn't have to do any major remodeling.  In person, the exterior needed painting and was more buttery yellow than in the picture above.  I decided to paint the exterior Benjamin Moore Copley Gray (HC 104).  The door and shutters are Benjamin Moore Super Spec HP D.T.M Alkyd Low Lustre paint (P23) in Bronzetone. The trim is Benjamin Moore Sailcloth (PM-21).  

The "formal" living room is to the left after you enter the front door.  I added bamboo shades and painted the room Benjamin Moore Wheeling Neutral (HC 92) and back of the bookshelves to match the sofa pillows. I used creamware and antique books to decorate the bookshelves (in the first picture below). The antique Louis XVI chairs are from France. The gilt coffee table and console were designed by my friend Will Merrill for Currey & Co. The tufted sofa is Hickory Chair and the rug is Stark. The sconces and bamboo side tables are antiques.

The dining room is to the right of the front door. I painted the room Benjamin Moore Wheeling Neutral (HC 92) and added bamboo shades.  The chairs are different in the pictures below, because I get bored easily and like to change things around.  I purchased the cream bobble chairs in France and used those for the last year in the house. The chandelier is Visual Comfort, the buffet is custom-made by Busbin, and the rug is Fibreworks.

The thing I disliked most about the house was the kitchen backsplash tile with dragonfiles.  I changed it for a really neutral 4 x 4 tile on the diagonal.  I also painted the kitchen Benjamin Moore Lenox Tan (HC 44), added bamboo shades and an antique fixture.

The den off the kitchen is where I was most of the time! The previous owners had a furniture layout I didn't like. The sofa blocked the french doors to the backyard.  Their TV was in a small cabinet across from the fireplace.  I decided to put my TV over the fireplace, which isn't usually my favorite look, but it was best for this room layout. The walls were a pale yellow, so I painted them a more neutral beige- Benjamin Moore Lenox Tan.  The sofa and chairs are by Hickory Chair, and the reclaimed wood coffee table is from Bobo Intriguing Objects (Restoration Hardware also makes a similar one). The Swedish cabinet is from Halo Styles and the shelves are decorated with vellum books and mercury glass.
 
The previous owners had a playroom, but since I was single, I used it (maybe 3 times in 3 years) as a TV room.  One of my favorite pieces I own is the vintage Louis Vuitton trunk I purchased in Paris and used as a coffee table.  I tried to take interest away from the TV by framing it with antique map prints.  I painted the walls Benjamin Moore Ashley Gray (HC 87).  It's one of my favorite colors to use! For the color scheme, I used gray with a pop of Hermes orange- my favorite!!

There is a guest bedroom downstairs, which was one of my favorite rooms!  I added bamboo shades, painted the walls Benjamin Moore Powell Buff (HC 35), and added a custom Robertex rug for warmth.  I hung 32 botanical prints on the wall behind the bed (no I did NOT do this myself!!).  These came from an antique book of botanicals I purchased in France and then had them individually framed. The chest and candlestick lamps are French antiques. The bedding is Sferra and the drapes are Schumacher fabric (can't remember the name).  The ceiling fixture is Visual Comfort and stools in front of bed are Hickory Chair. 


The master bedroom is upstairs. I was overwhelmed by all the dark wood the previous owners had in the master! I painted the room (can't remember paint color), added bamboo shades, and a custom Robertex rug. I hung framed intaglios, botanicals, and starburst mirrors from France.  The bedding is Ann Gish (my favorite!!!) and the drapery fabric is by Schumacher (can't remember name). The bench at the base of the bed and the side table on the right are Chelsea Textiles. The glass lamps are Simon Pearce with shades by Lux.

I turned the nursery adjoining the master into a closet. Please excuse the terrible after picture!

There is an upstairs study with bookshelves and a sitting area that I never used.  It was cute and cozy though! The bamboo daybed is vintage, demilunes are Chelsea Textiles, mirrors are antiques from France, and the ottoman is Hickory Chair.

There is another bedroom next to the master, which the previous owners used as a little girls room.  There was one twin bed in there, but I was able to put two in front of the window (even though it was tight!).  The walls are Benjamin Moore Ashley Gray and the bedding is Pine Cone Hill. I think the tufted headboards are from Barreveld.  In France, I found the botanicals already framed in an old window. The scones (in the 3rd picture) are Regina Andrew, and the light fixture is Aiden Gray.

I hope you enjoyed the pictures of my previous home.  My husband and I just finished a big remodel in our current home, so I will share that soon! Please feel free to ask any questions about sources if you see something I didn't list.

 photo signature_zps40c15323.png


 photo footer-facebook_zps3e9ccc02.png photo footer-twitter_zps85fb7d1f.png photo footer-pinterest_zpsb66912ff.png photo footer-instagram_zps0583bc2f.png

10 comments:

  1. Wow!! What a beautiful home- I love the decor!! I especially love how you've decorated the walls!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! And I absolutely love all the afters -- so fresh and airy!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, this home will always hold such special memories. I loved this place so much! I can't believe all of the parties and fun times we had there. But of course, the new house is even more incredible. So glad you posted these pictures!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my gosh! every room is perfection!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing! Looking forward to pictures of your new home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found your blog after pinterest redirected me here, and all I can say is, WOW! You are extremely talented! I especially love the window treatments you chose for each room.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What is the bluish gray color on the interior of the bookshelves? Looks great with the wheeling neautral.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What is the bluish gray color on the interior of the bookshelves? Looks great with the wheeling neautral.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, what is the color inside the bookshelves???

    ReplyDelete